Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 12 "Being Alive"

Ok, so yesterday didn't happen, so I'm just going to pretend that it didn't exist. On to today!

Today is a rather special day for people like me and my roommate. It's the day that actors are awarded for being someone else on stage. That's right...It's the day of the Tony Awards.

So in honor of the famed award, the song today is from the musical Company, in the high hopes that the person who sang this song most recently on Broadway wins a Tony this year...and the anti-Esparza does not...

"Being Alive"
from Company (Stephen Sondheim)




"ROBERT [speaking]: Stop!...What do you get? [Sings]
Someone to hold you too close,
Someone to hurt you too deep,
Someone to sit in your chair,
To ruin your sleep.

PAUL: That's true, but there's more to it than that.
SARAH: Is that all you think there is to it?
HARRY: You've got so many reasons for not being with someone, but
Robert, you haven't got one good reason for being alone.
LARRY: Come on, you're on to something, Bobby. You're on to something.

ROBERT:
Someone to need you too much,
Someone to know you too well,
Someone to pull you up short
And put you through hell.

DAVID: You see what you look for, you know.
JOANNE: You're not a kid anymore, Robby. I don't think you'll ever
be a kid again, kiddo.
PETER: Hey, buddy, don't be afraid it won't be perfect. The only thing
to be afraid of really is that it won't be.
JENNY: Don't stop now. Keep going.

ROBERT:
Someone you have to let in,
Someone whose feelings you spare,
Someone who, like it or not,
Will want you to share
A little, a lot.

SUSAN: And what does all that mean?
LARRY: Robert, how do you know so much about it when you've never
been there?
HARRY: It's much better living it than looking at it, Robert.
PETER: Add 'em up, Bobby. Add 'em up.

ROBERT:
Someone to crowd you with love,
Someone to force you to care,
Someone to make you come through,
Who'll always be there,
As frightened as you
Of being alive,
Being alive,
Being alive,
Being alive.

AMY: Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. *Want* something!
Want *something*!

ROBERT:
Somebody, hold me too close,
Somebody, hurt me too deep,
Somebody, sit in my chair
And ruin my sleep
And make me aware
Of being alive,
Being alive.
Somebody, need me too much,
Somebody, know me too well,
Somebody, pull me up short
And put me through hell
And give me support
For being alive,
Make me alive.
Make me confused,
Mock me with praise,
Let me be used,
Vary my days.
But alone is alone, not alive.
Somebody, crowd me with love,
Somebody, force me to care,
Somebody, make me come through,
I'll always be there,
As frightened as you,
To help us survive
Being alive,
Being alive,
Being alive!"


This has to be one of my favorite musical songs, and one of the best parts of it is how Raul Esparza sings it. He's just fantastic! Not to mention that everyone in the cast was playing an instrument throughout the entire show.

Now, I would not say that Company is my favorite show, that would probably go to Les Miserables. I just can't get past the repetitive (Bobby, Bobby, Bobby baby...etc.) as you get to preview in the clip I put up. But, if you can get past that, the actual plot, message, and story line are VERY good. My roommate performed in this musical with the Starkville Community Theater and did a fantastic job with it. I think I learned more about the musical than I ever needed to know, and had most of the songs memorized just from hearing it in her car, but I still can say I like the musical. I would say this could definitely be considered a Sondheim masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment