Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 7 "Coming Back to Life"

For today:

"Coming Back to Life"
by Pink Floyd



"Where were you when I was burned and broken
While the days slipped by from my window watching
Where were you when I was hurt and I was helpless
Because the things you say and the things you do surround me
While you were hanging yourself on someone elses words
Dying to believe in what you heard
I was staring straight into the shining sun
Lost in thought and lost in time
While the seeds of live and the seeds of change were planted
Outside the rain fell dark and slow
While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistable pastime
I took a heavenly ride through one silence
I knew the moment had arrived
For killing the past and coming back to life
I took a heavenly ride trough our silence
I knew the waiting had begin
And headed straight... into the shining sun"

For today, I thought that I would pick an easy-going song. You can rest assured more Pink Floyd songs will be on this list. One thing I love the most about Pink Floyd is their diversity. You can listen to their earlier music, featuring Syd Barrett, that is out there and extremely trippy. Then there are the Rodger Waters years...Darkside of the Moon and The Wall for example...paying homage to their mental ex-bandmate. Then when Waters left the band, Gilmour stepped up and took over. To be honest, I kind of favor the Gilmour albums more than the others. To me, it seemed like the music ment more. Waters had a way of pouring himself into music as well, but listeners are usually too weirded out to really get into the music...or too stoned.

Gilmour knew how to play a guitar riff that expressed his soul during a song. He also was very imaginitive in his lyrics, using vocabulary in some songs that you don't hear that often on a rock album. When you listen to Division Bell or Momentary Lapse of Reason (which is where my username came from), you're listening to poetry with beautiful music accompaning it.

I have to add, out of sheer boasting, that the heads shown on the video (which the picture is of the album cover) are at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...and I have seen them.

Since I'm going to be out of town for orientation for work, I'm going to have a guest "blogger" for tomorrow. My roommate will be posting a blog on her's, "Under the Sofa" and you can reach it through her profile button up top...where she is listed as my only follower. :) Thanks Anna!

No comments:

Post a Comment